Thursday 25 November 2010

Moving North

It's 7.28am here and we've just arrived in the beautiful historic town of Hoi Ann on the west coast of Vietnam. The weather is definately different up here, probably what everyone has been warning us about so far. It's relatively warm but definately cloudy, it could almost be an English summer day! But no no no, it's definately Vietnam, there's little people in connicles everywhere. I've spent the past 11 hours on a bus shooting up the coastline, very very uncomfortable, the seats were clearly made for Vietnamese people (who, if you didn't know, are TINY).

The last week or so has been a proper beach time. We've been lounging by the pool reading, sunabthing, swimming, watching the sunset with a few beer Saigons', the usual. In the whole 10 weeks we've been away we've never actually spent time sunbathing or relaxing and enjoying ourselves. When travelling you spend a lot of time seeing sights and always thinking you must be doing something but after the intense history lessons of Phnom Penh and Saigon, I think we needed a few days to unwind and gather our thoughts. The north promises more history and culture and China will be rife with it.

We'll probably spend a few days in Hoi Ann, which is famous for it's cheap, tailor made clothing. I will most certainly be stocking up on a winter coat, my own version of some lovely Jeffery Campbell clog boots and a nice new years dress. I'm glad we came here last because I have a better idea of how much money I can spend on things, as we've only got 2 weeks left in Vietnam and 5 days in China.

I love travelling, I really do, but I am very much looking forward to coming home. All my stuff is filthy, and stinks and no matter how many times you get it laundered it still doesn't come out right. It's weird sleeping in a different place every few days and you do tend to get very sick of living out of a bag. But I will miss the freedom. Obviously returning to the UK means a return to employment, so that's a slight downside but this trip is only the beginning of (I hope) a life of travelling so I guess I need a job to fund that.

Right that's all for now, it's weird thinking that 3 weeks today we'll be landing at Heathrow, I bet it'll feel like nothing's changed. Look forward to seeing everyone very soon........

1 comment:

  1. looking forward to seeing you too darling! Not too sure about the filthy stinking clothes tho......
    Very very cold here - you will def need a winter coat and boots - its freeze your face off cold - even in Horsham.
    Good to hear you are both relaxing in the sun - make the most of it before real life comes back to bite you :)
    Lots of love from mum
    xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete