Friday 29 October 2010

Photos Galore

This is a link to my second set of photos to date if anyone hasn't seen them or (dad) doesn't have facebook. It's getting a bit more difficult to upload them, as since Laos/Cambodian internet is much slower/less common/very expensive. So I'm about 2 weeks behind on the whole uploading front. But I will push through! There are some great ones of waterfalls and Mekong sunsets that I'm dying to upload.

Link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=34924&id=264600154&l=0ef09df466


Also, I've been corrected on my previous post about America bombing Laos during the second world war, it was during the Vietnam War, which, in hindsight I did know this as they bombed the Hoh Chi Mihn trail which went through Laos but I obviously wasn't thinking as I typed. Thank you Mr History (Dad again).



After another border crossing, which seem to be becoming increasingly more and more weird we are in Cambodia. We spent 2 days in the south most region in Laos called '4000 Islands'on a pretty little island called Don Det. There's really not much to do except cycle around, laze in a hammock or get very drunk/high. We did the former! We are now in Kratie (pronounced Kra-chey) in northeast Cambodia and tomorrow we're off to see the Irrawaddy dolphins, which are an endangered species so that should be great. Have been reading the Cambodia chapter of Lonely Planet which is really interesting and has got me geared up to soak up some Cambodia culture and lifestyle. It's a country riddled with war and suffering that's only recently brought itself out of it. So I am excited for the next 3 weeks. Then only 3 weeks in Vietnam and a week in China before home. It's definately going far too quickly.



Right, off to freshen up and watch another Mekong sunset.

Love to all.

5 comments:

  1. Hiya Liz hope your well, it sounds like your having a great time ! we loved your pics of the elephants,(and the ladyboys hahaha)love the thought of all the shops & markets, ENJOY !!! take care Lin & Nic. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear from you both! the elephants were my favourite you would have loved them. and obviously the ladyboys (one of them kept flashing her boobs, not nice). More photos to come!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog Lizzie!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz,
    Cant quite get my head around dolphins swimming in a river but I guess the river runs out to the sea? I'll always remember those we saw in the Bay of Islands in New Zeaand and that rather large whale (alright maybe officialy it was an Orca but it was as big as a whale!) and the small boat we were in!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad,
    Unfortunately the dolphins were unavailable for comment but I can confirm that the Mekong river runs into the sea....eventually. It's really long, starts in somewhere like Burma and runs out to the sea at the bottom of Cambodia I think? Wikipedia!

    Nick - good to see you've found it. Comment away.

    ReplyDelete